The best day of the holiday shopping season is also one of the best South End traditions: Small Business Saturday! 200+ local businesses, 3 one-day-only pop-up markets, 70 places to eat and drink. Free trolley rides throughout the district. 10 am to 5 pm on Saturday, November 26.
How to #ShopSmall in South End:
1. 10am. COFFEE.
You can’t start the day without fuel. Stop by Not Just Coffee at Atherton Market, the new Central Coffee on Camden Road, All Nations Coffee on Worthington Ave, Hex Coffee at Good Bottle, or the Gallery at South End for a great cup of joe. Want a little more sparkle in your cup? Try a mimosa at Happenstance at Atherton Market or Tupelo Honey, or a fresh juice from Luna’s Living Kitchen.
2. YOU’LL NEED A BAG. Free #ShopSmall Canvas Shopping Bags designed by Rifle Paper Co., will be available in stores throughout South End, and for the first shoppers at the Small Business Saturday pop-up markets (supplies limited). Check our map below and under the SHOP tab above, pick a shop or an art gallery that strikes your fancy, and stop by to see what’s in store. Printed maps are also available throughout the district.
3. POP IT UP. Check out any of our three one-day-only pop-up shops:
- #ShopSmall Pop-up at Atherton Mill & Market: 2104 and 2130 South Boulevard
- #ShopSmall Pop-up at Charlotte Trolley Powerhouse Museum & Charlotte Art League: 1507 and 1517 Camden Road
- Dudeapalooza, gifts for dudes and the people who love them, at C3 Labs: 2525 Distribution Street
All are in locations central to South End’s most walkable and unique retailers and galleries, so you can start your day at any of these markets and then go off on your own South End adventure.
4. LUNCH & CHECK YOUR LIST. What have you missed? Something for Grandma, or something for you? Mull it over with a bite to eat. We have more than 40 restaurants for you to choose from.
5. STRETCH YOUR LEGS on the Rail Trail while you check out the places you haven’t been to yet. Scope out the art while you make your way to the next shop.
Getting Here, & Parking
If you are driving, there is ample parking available near all of our Small Business Saturday Pop-Up Markets, including free weekend on-street parking all along Camden Road and surrounding streets.
But what is a trip to South End if you only use your car? Try the light rail–free park and ride stations are available at Scaleybark and beyond–for the true South End experience. There are also 4 Charlotte B-cycle stations in South End, and you can walk pretty much everywhere. If you haven’t spent at least part of the day exploring South End from the Rail Trail, you’re missing out.
And did we mention the Trolley? Back and dressed in holiday style, just for the day!
Applications for Pop-Up Markets
Applications for the 2016 Small Business Saturday pop-up markets are now closed. Applicants will be notified of acceptance in the first week of November. Information about applying for future markets will be posted here when available.
Articles about South End Small Business Saturday:
Everything You Need To Know to Shop Small & Local in South End – Scoop Charlotte (2016)
Highlights from Small Business Saturdays Past:
Shop Local and Join a South End Neighborhood Tradition – Crown Town Living (2014)
Shop Micro Local – South End Blog (2014)
Small Business Saturday Returns to South End – Charlotte Observer (2014)
Get to Know the Stores in Scoop Charlotte’s South End Furniture Crawl – Scoop Charlotte (2014)
Update on the South End Furniture Crawl on 11/29 – Scoop Charlotte (2014)