Kick off the holiday shopping season in South End on Small Business Saturday, November 25, 2017, 11:00 am – 5:00 pm.
200+ local businesses, 70 places to eat and drink, free trolley rides throughout the district.
Explore the local shops, restaurants and breweries that you can’t find anywhere else, and peruse gifts at a three festival hubs featuring local shops and businesses.
Park anywhere or ride in on the light rail: we’ve got you covered so you can leave your car and spend the day carefree. Park once (list below) and then hop on one of the free history trolleys sponsored by Novel Stonewall Station to get around the district from shop to shop.
Start your day in one of the three festival hubs:
- Camden Road, start at East-West Boulevard and Camden, arm yourself with a map and directions from a friendly tour guide and set out to explore the great shops, restaurant and art galleries on and around Camden. Pop-up shops will line the street leading you to the brick and mortar shops who will have doors open, music playing, festive snacks and gifts. There are also some special happenings inside the shops of South End:
- 2525 Distribution Street, with Dudeapalooza at C3 Lab. 11am – 5pm. Plentiful parking, local shops featuring gifts for dudes (and no potpourri), and the C3 Biergarten with Triple C beer and food trucks slinging BBQ and taco goodness.Then take the free trolley to the next stop…
- Lincoln Street, between Church and Mint, where pop-ups will line the streets, and you can explore music, shop for gifts, art and decor, and beverages from Unknown Brewing.Then take the trolley back to grab a bite to eat or back to where you started…
Getting Here, Parking Here
There is plentiful parking on-street and off-street throughout South End. Here are a few options:
- Design Center parking deck at Doggett & Hawkins (paid)
- Design Center surface lot at Worthington & Hawkins (paid)
- Little Hardware parking lot at Mint & Bland (paid, $3/day)
- Gravel lot across the street from Little Hardware at Mint & Bland (paid, $3/day, via app)
- Gravel lot at Mint Street between Palmer and Quincy (paid, via ParkIt app)
- Free weekend parking is available on-street throughout South End, try Church, Summit, S Tryon, Camden, Kingston, Hawkins or Distribution streets
- Free parking is available in the surface lots near C3 Lab (2525 Distribution St)
- Free parking is available at the free park-and-ride lots on the light rail line at Scaleybark station, and the stations further south at Woodlawn, Tyvola, Archdale, Arrowood, Sharon Road West, and I-485 S. Ride the light rail for $2.20 per trip or $6.60 for unlimited rides on a day pass
Those Shopping Totes
The wildly popular #ShopSmall totes from American Express and new hot-off-the-presses South End shopping totes sponsored by the Design District will be available to shoppers at all participating brick and mortar shops in South End. Stop in a shop to ask about them – while supplies last!
We are grateful to the sponsors who make the South End Small Business Saturday festivities possible:
- Historic South End – Title Sponsor
- Novel Stonewall Station – Trolley Presenting Sponsor
- Design District of South End – Community Sponsor
Applications for Pop-Up Markets
South End Small Business Saturday is an event that celebrates the great local businesses and unique retail in South End. The event highlights retailers in South End and includes special pop-up retail events that focus on a select mix of unique local businesses.
National chains not located in South End are not eligible to participate in the South End Small Business Saturday pop-up events, nor are online and direct sales lines that are not locally produced or curated.
Applications for 2017 are closed. E-mail Jordan to be added to the notification list for 2018 pop-up events in South End.
Highlights from Small Business Saturdays Past:
Everything You Need To Know to Shop Small & Local in South End – Scoop Charlotte (2016)
Shop Local and Join a South End Neighborhood Tradition – Crown Town Living (2014)
Shop Micro Local – South End Blog (2014)
Small Business Saturday Returns to South End – Charlotte Observer (2014)
Get to Know the Stores in Scoop Charlotte’s South End Furniture Crawl – Scoop Charlotte (2014)
Update on the South End Furniture Crawl on 11/29 – Scoop Charlotte (2014)