5 Secrets to Staying Cool in South End This SummerAugust 8, 2018 8:41 pm
Longer days, trips to the beach, sandals! There are a lot of things to love about summer. When the days are long and the sun is out, here are five great tips to keep you cool as you explore the Queen City:
Take Your Workout Indoors
Summer is the perfect time to take your workout indoors and test out some of the gyms and studios in South End. Plus, all of them have deals for first-time visitors. If you like workout classes, give First Wind Cycling or Jamie Scott Fitness a try. If solo workouts are more your thing, check out Inner Peaks South End to try out climbing. For a workout that has heat without the sunburn, check out Arrichion or Charlotte Yoga.
Head for Water
South End may not have any lakes or rivers but we do have pools at almost every apartment building. You can also head for the splash pad along the Rail Trail near the Carson station, which is great for younger kids and for adults passing through on a run.
Hop on a Train, Bike or Scooter
Walking is a great way to get around the South End neighborhood. Walking in ninety degree heat? Not as great. Luckily, you can also easily get around via the Blue Line light rail or by renting a Charlotte B-cycle. Bonus: You’ll get a great breeze as you ride to your destination.
Protect Your Pups
If you are feeling uncomfortable in the heat, so is your dog. For walks, Pet Wants CLT has paw salve to protect your pup’s feet from the hot pavement. Dog daycare is also a great option on hot days when long walks aren’t doable. Preppy Pet, Club Fetch, K9 Playland and the Dog Wizard all have dog daycare in South End.
Find a Cold Treat (Or Two)
South End may be the unofficial ice cream capital of Charlotte.
- Mr. K’s has soft serve that has been a neighborhood staple for more than 50 years. Read about how Mr. K Keeps It Old School.
- Golden Cow Creamery has small batch ice cream with flavors like Salted Oreo and Dunkaroos.
- Two Scoops Creamery has all of the classics as well as some combos of your favorite cereals and snacks in ice cream.
- King of Pops has created almost 500 different flavors of popsicles with only three to five ingredients. They keep it simple, with wholesome ingredients and lots of taste.
- Newcomer Jeni’s Splendid Ice Creams serves up the Darkest Chocolate in the World and Gooey Butter Cake.
- If you’ve said “treat yo’self” one too many times, stop by Clean Juice for a delicious and healthy snack.
Too hot outdoors for you? Don’t worry, you’re still covered. Check out 8 South End Cocktails to Keep You Cool This Summer.