City Market Executive DirectorFebruary 11, 2011 8:50 pm
Job Description: CITY MARKET EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR
Closing Date: March 8, 2011
The Charlotte City Market Board of Directors is seeking an experienced and professional individual to oversee the creation and operation of the new Charlotte City Market.
The overall objective of creating a public market hall in Uptown Charlotte is to build on the momentum of the Center City Green Market that was founded in 1998 to create a year-round facility that will serve as a small business incubator for entrepreneurs, build the local food economy, and mitigate ‘food deserts’ that are prevalent in many Center City neighborhoods. The City Market will:
– Provide a wide variety of produce, meat, fish, bakery and dairy products, and other raw and prepared food purveyed by farmers, culinary artisans and chefs; – Maintain an environment that recognizes and celebrates the diversity of our citizens and fosters their interaction; – Strengthen the historic link and mutual dependency of our rural and urban communities; and, – Achieve this, while maintaining the financial viability and self-sufficiency of the Market.
SUMMARY OF ESSENTIAL TASKS – Vendor Leasing & Relations – Negotiate leases – Identify and recruit vendors to assure Market offerings are of the highest quality and diversity – Assist vendors in the development of their businesses – Balance vendor products with the overall Market business and merchandising plan – Administer all Market regulations and lease terms
Property Management – Provide direction and oversight for the operation of the physical facility – Apply and maintain high standards of cleanliness – Oversee any service contracts entered into by the Market – Create and implement a program of scheduled maintenance and replacement
Seek out and Promote Partnerships – Identify partners and develop programs that are mutually beneficial (e.g. culinary schools, agriculture programs, restaurant and entertainment interests) – Identify corporate sponsors that can provide financial or in-kind resources to the market and benefit from cross-promotion – Maintain good relationships with sponsors and partners – Participate in the establishment of a regional market network or consortium
Marketing & Public Relations – Keep abreast of trends in the food and farming sectors -Maintain good relations with media, public officials, the food and market community, and general public – Program cooking classes and demonstrations, public events, and entertainment, etc.
Financial Management & Planning – Ensure sound financial management through development and oversight of an annual budget – Prepare timely and accurate financial reports for the Board of Directors – Prepare an Annual Report on the status of the Market – Prepare and present recommended program changes to the Board of Directors to enhance the overall experience and product offerings at the Market
Fundraising – In conjunction with the Board of Directors, formulate and execute a strategy to raise funds through grants and donations
REQUIREMENTS & QUALIFICATIONS
– Exhibit a passion for and experience in leading an efficient, effective organization with a collaborative, proactive and decisive work style
– Ability to establish and maintain key relationships with diverse constituents including Market staff, Board of Directors, vendors, sponsors, community groups, and local, regional and state governments
– Demonstrate knowledge of business systems, financial acumen, planning and budgeting skills
– Display political savvy and the ability to create connections to broaden the influence of the City Market, Charlotte area farms, and markets in local, regional and state jurisdictions
– Demonstrate interest in and knowledge of concepts underlying the regional food system and how a City Market fits into that system
– Have minimum of 3 to 5 years of experience in “comparable” field
– Exhibit excellent written and oral communication skills, have strong leadership skills and willingness to be a team player and serve as the “public face” of the Market
Education: Bachelor degree or equivalent experience required.
To Apply: Please submit a resume and cover letter explaining how your experience qualifies you for this position. Also include names and contact information of four (4) references.